[Sidefx-houdini-list] stability of mantra on multi core machines?

jiversen jiversen at rhythm.com
Mon Aug 4 19:15:14 EDT 2008

We've just come off The Mummy3 where all the FX elements are rendered
solely in Mantra.

We settled on 9.1.179 during the production and I was quite amazed that
we didn't experience a single unexplained crash or deadlock from Mantra
for the entire production (that I know of)... something I've never had
the pleasure of experiencing with any other renderer (yes, even with
PRMan) or production.

We did blow our RAM a lot as we were rendering huge volumetric scenes
and our procedural was holding onto those voxel caches which took a
chunk of memory. I, too, would love it if Mantra could use a memory
manager to try to handle RAM limits more gracefully - but in a couple of
years I suppose that everything will be 64bit and this shouldn't matter
much anymore... and I'd rather push other features than this.

Michael, I think you must either be on a bad build or perhaps have a bad
DSO or something because I feel very warm about Mantra's stability now
more than ever. Which version are you running on? Moreover, any issues
I've reported the past (with an IFD for reproducible results) have been
fixed with a very short turnaround.