[Sidefx-houdini-list] About shaders

guillaume laforge guillaume.laforge.3d at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 09:41:39 EDT 2007

Hi Jordi,

I agree, a monolithic shader a la Mental Ray mia shader could be very handy.

Translucency effect looks like a good training with vops :-). I think you
need to use a negative normal vector for the dot product with the light
vector.

In vop, you can use a Lambertian lighting model and plug a negative normal
vector in the nN input.
If you need some transparency, it can be useful to mix the translucency
factor with the transparency factor
like in the mia shader ( if translucency factor set to 1, transparency is
null ).

Since I started to use Houdini, I think about building a monolithic vop
surface shader network too. If there is something like that on the web, I'm
interested too.

Cheers

Guillaume Laforge | La Maison

On 9/30/07, Jordi Bares <jordibares at the-mill.com> wrote:

> I am using H8.1 for the project I am working, and specially on the shader
> area I feel a bit weird, specially because doesn't seem to have a
> monolithic
> general purpose shader that can cope with everydays' basic stuff.
>
> I am using VEX Layered surface I was expecting to have other tools also
> like
> simple translucency, incandescence...
>
> Is there anything I have missed? Would you recommend me to use another vex
> shader for the translucency? If so, which one, doesn't seem to be one.
>
> On another note, may be a community OTL that has wrapped this?
>
> Just as suggestion, here at The Mill we use all the time a monolithic and
> very optimized supershader that does all sorts of things, from blurry
> reflections, thin film, incandescence, transparency tricks, multiple mixed
> specular calculations (blinn, phong, etc..) plus we have setup a bunch of
> presets that do the job 95% of the cases with minor tweaks, probably one
> of
> the most productive tools we have.
>
> Any chance the Houdini community has developed something similar to share?
>

> In any case, I would like to ask specially about the translucency effect,
> anyone could point me in the right direction?
>

> Thanks in advance
> jb

Guillaume Laforge