[Sidefx-houdini-list] About shaders

Jordi Bares jordibares at the-mill.com
Sun Sep 30 07:25:50 EDT 2007

I am using H8.1 for the project I am working, and specially on the shader
area I feel a bit weird, specially because doesn't seem to have a monolithic
general purpose shader that can cope with everydays' basic stuff.

I am using VEX Layered surface I was expecting to have other tools also like
simple translucency, incandescence...

Is there anything I have missed? Would you recommend me to use another vex
shader for the translucency? If so, which one, doesn't seem to be one.

On another note, may be a community OTL that has wrapped this?

Just as suggestion, here at The Mill we use all the time a monolithic and
very optimized supershader that does all sorts of things, from blurry
reflections, thin film, incandescence, transparency tricks, multiple mixed
specular calculations (blinn, phong, etc..) plus we have setup a bunch of
presets that do the job 95% of the cases with minor tweaks, probably one of
the most productive tools we have.

Any chance the Houdini community has developed something similar to share?

In any case, I would like to ask specially about the translucency effect,
anyone could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
jb