[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini Technical Evening - H9 Auto Rig tools

Ryan Weston kr_weston at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 20 20:34:31 EDT 2007

I wholeheartedly third the request for these training sessions to be documented and distributed online.  My frustration at constantly missing out on sessions like this has reached the point of madness!

Every time I see announcements like this, I can't help but feel SESI is missing out on fantastic opportunities to expand the knowledge of their current user group, as well as enlighten users of other packages around the globe that Houdini is not just a particles and dynamics package.  Essentially, anyone who does not live within the proximity of the SESI building, Santa Monica, or other N.American locations these sessions are being held are being denied critical *free* training because we were unfortunate enough to live/work in another part of the world.  Yes, I know that life isn't fair, but you guys are killing me - please throw us a life preserver out here!

SESI provides us with the forum/blog that contains some bits and pieces, but I think you'll agree that it is nothing on the scale of a character setup demo like is outlined below.  This content in particular is crucial to helping Houdini break out of the "oh yeah, that particles package" stereotype that everyone I speak to who's never used it has.  If I could sit down in front of them and quickly link up a character setup system like is discussed below, I guarantee their eyes would pop, their jaw would drop, and they would shove me out of the way so they could have a go.  How many more users could we gain if we had links to free training that shows them how to do it on their own?

Please help *us* to help *you* show the rest of the CG community just how much Houdini can really do - circulate this training and other sessions like it online!

Cheers,
Ryan

Janet Fraser <janet at sidefx.com> wrote:
We hope you'll come out to see the newest Auto Rig tools
in H9 next week.  It's also a good opportunity to chat with
some of the SESI staff and friends.  Please
pass this along to anyone you think might be interested.

*New Auto Rig tools in Houdini 9*

*When: *
Thursday, September 27, 2007 from 6:30 to 7:30
We hope you'll stay afterwards for a beer!

*Where: *
Side Effects Software
123 Front Street West (the Citigroup Building)
Suite 1401

*RSVP to training at sidefx.com*

Graham Thompson, one of our character tools developers, will be
showing us how Houdini 9's new modular Auto Rig tools enable
the artist to quickly and easily create biped, quadruped and
other multiped configuration rigs.

Built from individual body parts that easily interact with each other,
Houdini 9 provides the artist with more powerful tools to quickly rig,
animate, and prototype characters.

Graham will go through the new Auto Rig workflow for creating production-
ready rigs.  Starting with Houdini's default rigs, we will proceed through
the new proxy generation system, create the Animation and Deform rigs,
and capture the geometry using Houdini's meta capture muscle
system.  He will also explain how to use the interactive viewport tools
to easily create your own custom rig configurations.

Graham will also demonstrate, using the new Houdini Object Model
and Python, how to dynamically create and manipulate digital
asset contents and data, and create a customized set of production-ready
animation tools.  Detailing how our own body parts and scripts are
constructed, he will also us how to access all the available
tools to create and test your own custom body parts and make them work
seamlessly with Houdini's default parts.

We hope you can make it!

-Janet

Janet Fraser                              Tel: 416-504-9876 Ext. 204
Senior Account Executive                  Fax: 416-504-6648
Side Effects Software                     Web: http://www.sidefx.com
123 Front Street West, Suite 1401
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M5J 2M2