[Sidefx-houdini-list] Multicore

Joe Drew joe at sidefx.com
Wed Oct 24 12:18:00 EDT 2007

gravatar at gravatonia.com wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to get Houdini to better make use of
> dual and quad core processors?  I mean, it's kind of cool to be able to do
> a bunch of other tasks while rendering, but that isn't the most productive
> use of processing power, especially for farm modules.

How do you mean 'better use'? Houdini 9 (and in particular Mantra 9)
automatically uses all the processors/cores in your machine whenever it can.

You can override Mantra's use of cores by changing the "Use Max
Processors" property in conjunction with the "Thread Count" on your
Mantra output driver (in Properties > Render); on the farm, you can
further override by using the -j command-line option or the
HOUDINI_MAXTHREADS environment variable.