[Sidefx-houdini-list] ubershaders

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 15:59:26 EDT 2007

In my opinion uber shaders are a must in small&medium studios where no
coders are available and people usually don't have time to deal with a large
shaders library or to deal with something like VOPs.
I think that you can write an uber shader in a very modular way so maintance
wont be so difficult.
For example you can have a modeular library of shading function in several
includes and collapse everything in one great shader, as a swiss army
solution, for users I think is easier.
Later if you need to develop very specific surfaces or looks you can write
an specific one.

2007/10/1, Jordi Bares <jordibares at the-mill.com>:

> I am quite in sync with your comments and approach, would love to see
> something on those lines on the basic package.
>

> >  Let's face it: wiring up VOPs is "easy" only when
> > you know what you're doing.
> >

> Well, one of the things SideFX is going to find is that people from other
> packages are very used to be taken by the hand a bit and suddenly all
> these
> issues and more will appear.
>
> We also should value the fact that uber-shaders would bring certain
> consistency and make our lives more productive.
>
> Anyway, I was shocked when I saw a banana VOP and didn't find a decent
> generic reflection uber-shader.   ;-)
>
> Thanks
> Jb

Un saludo