[Sidefx-houdini-list] op:

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Tue Oct 16 04:57:04 EDT 2007

Oodini wrote:
> symek at poczta.onet.pl a écrit :
>
>> I have no idea where in docs you can find the answer but as to
>>
>  > the heart of the matter, "op:/" is a general way of
>  > referencing output of one node to  some input field of another node.
>
> OK.
> It's just I didn't understand why it was neeeded. The same sentence
> without "op:" must have an other meaning.

Yes.. it does have another meaning... it means read this image
*file*...  Wherever you would usually be accessing a file but you want
to instead access an internal houdini node use op.

Thus this would be the usual usage of the tex() function:

tex("/drive/mytextures/texture.tif", $BBX, $BBZ, r)

There's also a function called pic() which is designed to reference
cops, so doesn't require the op: syntax but takes the path to the cop.
Using the op: syntax in tex() essentially makes it work like pic(). Why
do that? dunno. You get the choice.

HTH.
r.