[Sidefx-houdini-list] euler rotation jump

Ben Schrijvers ben.schrijvers at guerrilla-games.com
Mon Oct 15 09:38:02 EDT 2007

Oke here we go again. I've already been in this situation many times.
But always slightly in a different way

I've got channels in CHOPs which are generated by the Dynamics Chop.
There are some typical quaternion-to-euler jumps in the rotation channels.

So my question is how to get rid of them.
I know there is a hidden feature in the Transform Chop that is supposed
to get rid of them.
But I can't seem to get that working. I did some time ago but only on a
single set of transform channels.
I do need this on an unknown amount of transforms as I don't know the
amount of channels in my Dop's Simulation.
So the Transform Chop is not really an option.. just a worse case
scenario in which I have generate as many of them as I have channels.

Now I've also noticed that the Dynamics Chop generated some orient[xyzw]
channels.
They don't seem to do the jumps and they seem to start with (0,0,0,1) so
that look's like quaternions.
If that is the case I should be able to generate non-jumpy euler
rotation myself.. right?

The worrying thing is there are also orientrx orientry and orientz
channels. They seem to flip,jump,peak even more than the rx,ry,rz channels.

Hmmm... am I overlooking something or is it a bug in the Dynamics Dop?

And if there is no out of the box solution. How would I generate proper
euler channels from my quaternion channels?
I'm thinking of a Vex Chop but what would be the steps in the process?

Any help is welcome..

cheers,
benS