[Sidefx-houdini-list] mantra in H9 - multiprocessor

Sean Lewkiw seanl at rainmaker.com
Wed Oct 10 04:26:54 EDT 2007

Yes, this is a bit weird.  I have a whole bunch of scenes with a volume
being refracted through a surface.  In some scenes, I get two hour
render times, in some I'm getting 12 hour plus render times.  Some
render times are improved by switching to "raytrace", sometimes they are
improved by switching to "micropolygon".  There doesn't seem to be much
rhyme nor reason to it, (each scene of course has a different camera).
(To be honest, I don't understand the difference between "raytrace" and
"micropolygon" renders when I'm doing a refracted surface, as obviously
Mantra has to raytrace the refractions in both cases.)

We are using "-j 2" on our renderfarm.  (When I first tried H9, I used
our old H8 ROP digital asset, which didn't of course specify -j, and our
render times skyrocketed.)

Sean

Andy Boyd wrote:
> That's right, plus as I have volumes in my scene - double trouble.
>
> Joe Drew wrote:
>

>> Andy Boyd wrote:
>>

>>> I have the same problems with mantra.
>>> Working in windows XP I find multi processor rendering only faster when
>>> ray tracing, otherwise one processor is better - not only is it faster
>>> but more reliable!
>>>

>> You're talking about using -j, right -- not -H localhost,localhost?

Sean Lewkiw
--
Rainmaker Digital
130 Shaftesbury Avenue