[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini good practices question

Jordi Bares jordibares at the-mill.com
Mon Oct 8 16:02:47 EDT 2007

Hi all, I would love to ask everybody in the list some insights in good
practices and tips on how to structure an scene. Clearly after the project I
am working can see many techniques that come to mind that are very useful;

- Use null nodes as OUT so you don't need to rewire things when you add one
more node at the end plus makes clear the intention.

- Link compositor outputs to the camera rotoscope to get the ability to
relate the too later on in precomps easily.

- Link the compositor outputs to the rendering ops so the input/output is
always sync.

- etc...

Plus I can see it could be useful for my next project to use an IN node and
add custom parameters to it and use it as an input place to get the values
only once, then may be have a second aux. node to act as a calculator
instead of droping formulas all over the place in disconnected transform
nodes with little info.

Or on/off nodes to disable whole effects...

But would love to hear your tips on how you arrange your work around
houdini. What is the thing you always do?

Thanks in advance
jb