[Sidefx-houdini-list] H9 : wire glue constraint pb

guillaume laforge guillaume.laforge.3d at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:03:24 EDT 2007

Thanks Derrick,

It works fine for my simple scene and I (slowly) understand how it works in
9 now :-).

What I'm trying to do is to use some guides create with Softimage xsi hair
tools.
In Houdini 8, it is easy to "glue constraint" the roots of the imported xsi
guide to the deformed skin but I don't know how to do the same thing in 9
for the moment :-/.

Here is a sample file showing my problem :
http://www.vol2nuit.fr/xsi_guide_to_h9_wire.rar

How can I achieve a simple dynamic simulation of those guides in Houdini 9 ?

Cheers.

Guillaume Laforge

On 10/3/07, Derrick Moser <derrick at sidefx.com> wrote:

> Guillaume,
>
> The parameters in the wireglueconstraint1 node just need some
> modifications.
> 1) correct the constrained object's name by choosing "wire_hair" from
> the Constrained Object's menu
> 2) turn off "Constrain To Animation"
> 3) choose the "rbd_skin" in the Goal Object's menu
> 4) update "Goal Point" to the point you wish to constrain to ("15" for
> the attached example)
>
> Some other things you may wish to consider:
>
> The "Goal Point" does not need to be specified (use -1) if the RBD
> object's animation is at the object level (instead of animating in SOPs)
> because DOPs will consider the object moving as a whole instead of
> deforming.  This also means wires can be constrained to arbitrary
> locations on the RBD object instead of being limited to the points of
> the RBD object.
>
> If you want to use deforming geometry for the RBD object, consider
> transferring the motion to sop_hair (maybe through a Copy SOP) and
> turning on "Use Deforming Geometry" in the wire object and "Constrain To
> Animation" in the wire glue constraint.  In this case, the RBD object is
> no longer required in the DOP network but you may wish to keep it around
> for a collision object.
>
> Cheers,
> Derrick
>
> guillaume laforge wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is my first try with Houdini 9 wires and I can't figure how to
> constrain
> > some curves roots to a geometry.
> >
> > In H8 I used the goalpoint attribute to identify the points to constrain
> but
> > in H9 it doesn't work. The help sample files show the use of a "roots"
> group
> > identify those points but I can't make it works in this simple setup :
> > http://www.vol2nuit.fr/wire_glue_constraint.hip
> >
> > Thanks for any help !
> >
> > Cheers

Guillaume Laforge