[Sidefx-houdini-list] unified cpio / hda production management systems

Ammon Riley ammon.riley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:22:59 EDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Rangi Sutton <rangi at kanuka.com.au> wrote:
> What we're experimenting with is putting assets under version control
> (using subversion, of course) as binary otl files.

The only real problem with putting binary data into subversion
is that it's very difficult to take a look, and say "what changed
between version A and version B?" That's what the benefit of
using hexpand/hcollapse would give you -- it explodes everything
into a tree of plain-text files. If you check that tree in, rather than
the binary blob, you can identify exactly what changed. If your
otl files are large, it'll also save disk space for you, too.

Cheers,
Ammon