[Sidefx-houdini-list] unified cpio / hda production management systems

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 12:01:58 EDT 2007

> I don't know exactly what is cpio, hexpand and hcollapse

For those that haven't seen it before, hexpand and hcollapse live in
the $HFS/bin. They allow you to collapse a .hip file to a directory
structure containing all hip data in exploded form. You can then
modify that data within limits before re-collapsing them back into a
regular single hip file.

Many of us have found that for large shows where you want to share
parm settings across multiple shots in a modular way, that hip files
are less and less useful. In this pythonic age perhaps we'll see some
new tools for storing and managing parm data across multiple shots?

It's good to hear how others manage this hipscene/otlrig/otlparm asset
hierarchy in the meantime though...

Cheers