[Sidefx-houdini-list] unified cpio / hda production management systems

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Tue Oct 2 03:08:10 EDT 2007

Ammon Riley wrote:
> On 9/28/07, Andrew D Lyons <tstexture at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How many places have explored using the cpio capabilities of hexpand
>> and hcollapse in conjunction with a revision control system to store
>> hip data?
>>

> This was a topic that came up on the list back in early- to mid-2001.
> I believe that Denis Gauthier (at A52, at the time) actually cooked
> something up, and used it in production. (I have a vague recollection
> of him demonstrating it to me, back in about October of 2001.) I don't
> know if he's still there, or still on the list, or if the system is
> still in use,
> though.
>
> Bueller? Bueller?

What we're experimenting with is putting assets under version control
(using subversion, of course) as binary otl files. Everyone sources
their own working copy, and commit/update regularly to stay in touch
with the rest of the crew.

hip files are less and less important. If you want an piece of animation
to be placed under version control you wrap it into an asset and commit
the .otl to the repository.

So it's not just tools / shaders/ rigs under version control..
sh01_girl_talking would be an outer wrapper asset containing an instance
of girl_face_rig asset with keyframes applied. The .otl containing
sh01_girl_talking contains the keyframes which are thusly version
controlled... yeah!?!

This is pretty experimental at this stage, but holds a lot of promise.

Beers,
r.