[Sidefx-houdini-list] ubershaders

Jordi Bares jordibares at the-mill.com
Mon Oct 1 05:36:11 EDT 2007

I totally understand what you describe and I understand as the extreme
situation where the shader is asked to do absolutely everything, even a cup
of tea, but that is not really the idea.

I am just asking for a shader that can do the very basic stuff without
relying on VOPs (which of course I am more than happy to learn and use).

The most points to tackle in my humble opinion are;

- Primary Lighting mode
- Secondary Lighting mode (useful for dirty tricks)
- Advanced Transparency controls
- Advanced Reflection controls (this is one of the importants)
- Basic Translucency (no-SSS, just simple plain paper thin one)
- Incandescence

As you can see it is not about a single shader to do everything, but it is
the very basic building block to build almost everything.

;)
jb