[Sidefx-houdini-list] Teaching Houdini

Dax kalel1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 14:04:49 EST 2007

This is excellent insight.  I've fallen in around the medium TD level.
Starting out
it made sense to keep getting better with the software I was currently
using,
while gaining production experience.  It didn't make sense to jump on
another
package before getting good with even one.  Of course curiosity made me try
others, but Houdini always seemed to be like voodoo or black magic :)
Basically
scary and difficult since that was how it was described to me as a newbie.

Luckily I moved near the SideFX offices in Santa Monica, and got to take
some classes (thanks Aliza!)...plus trained a little at work.  I find it to
be
amazing and very straight forward thanks to my Shake background, and the
procedural approach made sense to me.  Once H9 came out however, I seemed
to take a step back since it seemed more like other packages with those
shelves.
I still use Houdini 8 Apprentice for learning for now, but sure I'll make
the switch
later.  I also am not sure how much Houdini experience is required in
addition
to my current experience to land a Houdini job..so I think I'll be a
hobbyist for a bit :D

Dax