[Sidefx-houdini-list] Teaching Houdini

Andras Ikladi andras.ikladi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 03:19:34 EST 2007

This is a bit of a controversial topic though. I had the chance to look from
both sides...as someone looking for work and also as someone responsible for
recruiting/evaluating candidates.
It looks like to me that Houdini users can be divided to three large groups:

- Seniors: no problem finding work not just because of Houdini but also
because all the experience accumulated during the (tens of) years. I don't
think it would be a problem with other software either but maybe the smaller
community helps.

- Newbies: straight out of school. Houdini can be a big help landing a job
and this kinda annoys me. Personally I would much rather hire someone
slightly more experienced with other software than a completely green guy
with mention of Houdini on his CV. At least we had quite good experience
with cross training from other software.

- Medium level TDs: grown up and gained quite a bit of experience on another
software (maybe one starting with M) and been using Houdini for some time.

Still, these people seem to find it a lot harder to land a Houdini job as
the other two categories.

Why? I just find it weird but this is a common experience shared by several
people I know.
These people are representing the everyday production capacity that most
companies want (and that holds some of them back from using Houdini)

Maybe it's due to location constraints as well to a certain extent but I
think at least part of these people would be willing to move and also
qualify for work permit in most countries.

cheers,
Andras