[Sidefx-houdini-list] Keeping your hairstyle while still beingaffected by forces

gravatar at gravatonia.com gravatar at gravatonia.com
Tue Nov 27 15:41:53 EST 2007

Marc-Andre,

If it was me, I would use a clamp function in an expression.  I couldn't
exactly tell you where that expression would need to go without looking at
the node network.  I am including the snippet about from the version 7 help
files.  (My old print out is really getting dog eared these days)  Of
course, there may be a better answer in the new scripting with 9, but for
now here it is the old fashioned expression language example:

Clamping

pos y = clamp ( (sin($TX * 1080) *0.3), -0.1, 0.28)

clamp ensures a value stays in a certain range. For example, clamp($TX,
minvalue, maxvalue) clamps the x position to be between minvalue and
maxvalue.

You could even get fancy with it and combine clamp with a smooth function
to soften the the clamping of the motion.  There may be a better solution
out there, as dynamics is not my main thing.  However, maybe this will help
spark an idea for a solution.

Grav