[Sidefx-houdini-list] Simulating long hair with Houdini

Andy Boyd andy at methodstudios.com
Mon Nov 26 17:41:36 EST 2007

Hi
I'm finding the same thing on long or short hair. I am using the DOPs
wire solver to simulate the dynamics on the hair on my object and I'm
finding it very slow.
To compare speeds I did a test...houdini vs. maya
I created the same setup in maya and houdini - a torus with 900 curves
each with 4 points. There was no collisions on either set up. To play
through 50 frames in maya took 24 seconds, in houdini it took 90
seconds!!! that more than 3 times slower.
I've attached both scenes for you to look at. I've emailed support these
scenes, hopefully they'll recommend a faster setup or just make the
solver faster:)
Even thought houdini is slower the plus side of being procedural makes
it worth the longer simulation for what I'm doing. Pity it can't be
better and faster!

Andy