[Sidefx-houdini-list] hserver not starting automatically

Georg Duemlein info at preset.de
Thu Nov 22 04:57:38 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 12:02 -0500, Lkelly SideFx TS wrote:
> Perhaps as a courtesy, you could pass this info on to other users once
you've got it working.

This is what I do - openSuse 10.2:

To set the Houdini environment in every shell on the remote systems:
in /etc/profile.local

>-- start /etc/profile.local snippet --<
pushd /opt/houdini >> /dev/null
source houdini_setup
popd >> /dev/null

>-- end /etc/profile.local snippet --<

* note: >> /dev/null pipes the output of the command to NULL
It's just a beauty-hack, that I introduced after ensuring everything is
working as expected.

To start sesinetd on boot time:
as root in a shell with Houdini environment set:
chkconfig sesinetd on

To start heserver at boot time - as it didn't start automatic:
in /etc/init.d/boot.local

>-- start /etc/init.d/boot.local snippet --<
# Hoduini Environment
pushd /opt/houdini >> /dev/null
source houdini_setup
popd >> /dev/null

echo Terminating hserver
hserver -q
sleep 2
echo Starting hserver
hserver
echo Changing License Server
hserver -S chantal
>-- end /etc/init.d/boot.local snippet --<

*note: the hserver -S <your_license_server_name_or_ip> command is
necessary only once. I left it for convience. Again: >> /dev/null was
added after ensuring everything is working as expected.

Cheer,

Georg

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 12:02 -0500, Lkelly SideFx TS wrote:
> Hi Georg,
>
> You could perhaps try writing up startup script that will source the
> Houdini Environment and start hserver on system boot. Or, you can have
> script on one machine that could ssh into all the machines to bring up
> hserver.
>
> In the script he could have something like:
>
> pushd /opt/hfsx.x (or wherever it's installed)
> source houdini_setup
> echo Terminating hserver
> hserver -q
> sleep 2
> echo Starting hserver
> hserver
> echo Setting license server
> hserver -S <license server machine>
>
> Let me know if this helps. Also - I notice you've posted your question
on the mail list. Perhaps as a courtesy, you could pass this info on to