[Sidefx-houdini-list] ifd rendering with procedural delayed load - question

Mark Elendt mark at sidefx.com
Mon Nov 19 10:49:34 EST 2007

On Monday Nov 19 at 13:38, Phil Spicer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made a teapot which is half orange clay, and half chrome for its
> materials, and I have saved it out as a .bgeo file.
>
> If I load it in using a File SOP and press render, it appears as it
> should (given that it can still see the materials which are still
> present in the scene).
>
> I then attempt to perform a procedural delayed load on the teapot (by
> creating a 'Mantra: Delayed Load shader', and pointing it to the .bgeo
> file), and I call it at Object Level in the Render>Geometry>Procedual
> Shader section of the teapot object's parameters. When I render however
> the geometry appears but it is without its material information.
>
> Where am I going wrong?
>
> Kind regards,

There's a rendering property on the output driver to "Declare All
Materials".

Usually only materials which are used in your scene will be output to
the IFD.  However, if you have a .bgeo file which you're loading,
Houdini doesn't know which materials it uses, and they won't be output
to the IFD (so mantra won't be able to find them).

By turning on "Declare All Materials", all the material definitions in
the .hip file will be sent to the IFD, regardless of whether Houdini
thinks they are needed or not.

Open "Edit Rendering Parameters' on the ROP and filter out "material"
or "declare" and you should find it...