[Sidefx-houdini-list] Linux memory limitations?

Rakesh Malik tamerlin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:31:54 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 6:07 AM, Jed Schwartz <jed at jedschwartz.com> wrote:
> That said, I'd like to hear the answer to Jose's question below-.
> Having the option of booting OSX as well as linux on the same system
> makes this the option for us--, BUT-only if we're going to get a
> system that will match houdini's performance on a quad core "PC" -
> Linux box-

The Intel macs are identical inside to comparable Intel-based gear from
other vendors. Intel's gotten VERY aggressive with Xeon pricing, they
actually cost LESS than the nearest equivalent Core processors, even
though they have a faster memory bus, and therefore slightly better
performance than the PC equivalent.

The only noticable difference you're likely to find in performance with the
likes of Houdini is going to be in drivers, so it will tend to vary from OS to
OS, but it's not likely due to the OS itself. And as the OpenGL drivers
solidify and mature, that variance will go away as well.

That said, I suspect that the slow devaluation of Apple hardware is coming
to an end. That was a side effect of slower evolution because the processor
vendors Apple used to use didn't launch new products very often, but that
won't be the case with Intel, especially as long as AMD manages to stay
competitive. (Which will hopefully be for a very long time, but that's another
topic.)

That's the tradeoff... either you get to take advantage of relatively
frequent product
intros, or your toys keep their value a little longer. The two tend to mutually
exclusive since the new high-end toys have to be introduced at the same price
point as the previous ones, so the previous ones do down in price more often.

On the other hand, as long as Apple doesn't claim that the MacPro is a
workstation, it will continue to cost less than Dell's version :)

Hopefully, the next Xeon will also not require FB-DIMMs. Those add quite a bit
to the cost of Xeon machines in general. It has its advantages, but it doesn't
seem like the industry particularly cares for them.

--
Rakesh Malik
http://www.oegallery.com/Tamerlin