[Sidefx-houdini-list] Linux memory limitations?

Abdul-Kareem Abo-Namous anamous at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:30:44 EST 2007

We have Quadro 4500 cards in almost all MacPros, and a Geforce 7300
(standard option) in one of them. Both configurations work great with Maya
(and H9 Apprentice), no glitches. Both applications are at the most stable
I've ever experienced them on ubuntu64. Getting fedora to work was alot of
hassle, whereas ubuntu ran straight out of the box. And the whole
compiz/beryl thing has to be turned off however. BTW, if anyone's
interested: Nuke and Shake also both work perfectly.

Dual (or triple) booting is a definite plus, as is having FinalCut Studio on
OSX. I haven't had any other octocore machines here, but our render manager
tells me that the 3,0 GHz 8-core is 2.2 times as quick as the next quickest,
a 2.6 GHz Quadcore PC (all of this measured with mental ray benchmarks).

And don't forget that the great thing about Apple hardware is the slow
devaluation. So upgrade cycles (selling current, buying new) can be much
shorter.

Hope this helps. It does sound like a sales pitch, so don't let that confuse
you :)

cheers