[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini Apprentice HD: No More Watermark!!

rmagee at sidefx.com rmagee at sidefx.com
Fri Nov 16 00:53:25 EST 2007

> hello, great to hear that!
>
> i would like to know the difference between:
>
> Houdini Apprentice HD: Starving Artist Edition vs. Houdini non-commercial
> download at sidefx site
> is No more Watermark.

Houdini Apprentice actually does not have a Watermark if you render to
Houdini's .picnc format but does for other formats such as tiff, jpg,
openexr etc. Houdini Apprentice HD has not watermark for any of these
formats.

Houdini Apprentice is limited to PAL while Apprentice HD is limited to
1920x1080 for animations and has no limitations for still images.

> Houdini Apprentice HD: Starving Artist Edition vs. Houdini Master
> is only for personal CG projects and portfolios.

This is correct. Both versions are for non-commercial purposes but now
without a watermark, we hope to see more people using Apprentice HD to
enter animation festivals or post finished work to the web.

To make sure the files from Apprentice HD are not used in production they
are saved in a special .hipnc format. The same one used by the free
Apprentice.

Another difference is that Houdini Escape and Master come with unlimited
Mantra render tokens and the ability to render to third party renderers
(RenderMan etc..). Houdini Apprentice and Apprentice HD can only render to
Mantra and come with only one render token. Mantra tokens work on one
computer and covers all the processors on that computer.

> thanks. will purchase immediately before someone change his mind! ha.

Glad to hear it. I look forward to seeing the work that will be produced
in the new Apprentice HD. Our goal is for this to be a long term program.
The free Houdini Apprentice has been out their for five years now and this
is an extension of the success we have had so far.

Robert