[Sidefx-houdini-list] Linux memory limitations?

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Nov 13 13:07:39 EST 2007

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 12:52, Jed Schwartz wrote:
> Hey John,
>
> These new systems are going to be used primarily as workstations-
> However, being a very small studio we're always looking to squeeze as
> much productivity as possible out of our systems- We might tend to
> spend more on our workstations so they can double as contributors to
> the render pipeline even as we work-
>
> We do have to deal with some pretty huge CAD dada sets- most of our
> production is HD 1080- So the faster the better for both display and
> render-  If anyone has configuration suggestions, I'm all ears.

	It's hard to say when it comes to data - only you really know just how big it
gets.  More memory doesn't mean faster unless previously you were swapping to
disk.  We also run a grid as opposed to a farm where workstations contribute
to rendering so of course workstations need the most memory, but there was a
real decision point before we started H9 - with H8 it was a no-brainer.  If
you were running machines with 8 cores you want to stuff a lot of memory in
there.  Now, with 9 and threading, it's a little trickier, big datasets
aside.  You can cram masses of memory into an 8 core machine, but if you end
up spending 80% of your rendering time running 2 renders threading on 4 cores
each, and most of your memory sits there unused day after day, well, that's
not money well spent.  Add to that the fact that different render tasks will
thread better than others.  Then there's IO bottlenecking...:)

	I'm not suggesting scrimping on memory, btw.  I'm just pointing out that
threading adds a new variable.

	Cheers,

	J.C.
                                                     Toronto, ON Canada