[Sidefx-houdini-list] Linux memory limitations?

Kurt Williams kurt at rhythm.com
Tue Nov 13 12:40:53 EST 2007

Jed Schwartz wrote:
> We're replacing a couple of our older linux boxes- Anyone know what
> the memory limitations are when running 64 bit- (ubuntu)? Not looking
> to buy more memory that we can put to use-
>
> Th
Memory limitations on a 64bit OS?

In theory, 16 exabytes of addressable space which shouldn't be an issue
for a decade or two. That being said you are limited to whatever your
hardware can physically handle. Workstation and server grade boards can
handle 16-32 GB of memory but the modules will be fairly expensive.

I have 8GB on my existing PC, the main issues are getting 64bit drivers
for your devices and having applications that support 64bit.

Depending on the OS, there are 64bit memory limits set by different
vendors. eg. Microsoft has a 128GB physical memory limit on some of its
operating systems, I'm sure you can pay more for some super-funtastic
windows server version 2009 and get one without a limit.

Some other 64-bit OS's also have a 128GB memory limit as well, so this
may or not be the case with ubuntu, I  don't run it anymore so someone
else can probably fill in that blank.