[Sidefx-houdini-list] Linux memory limitations?

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Nov 13 12:09:28 EST 2007

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 12:00, Jed Schwartz wrote:
> We're replacing a couple of our older linux boxes- Anyone know what
> the memory limitations are when running 64 bit- (ubuntu)? Not looking
> to buy more memory that we can put to use-

	None within real world limitations for rendering boxes or workstations, i.e.
a crapload, 128G or something.  However, I would caution you with Houdini 9
in going the heavy memory approach, assuming you're talking rendering boxes.
Mantra threads now, so for many tasks you'd want to run less mantra renders
threading more and having a lower memory footprint rather than loading up
multiple renders.  Of course, there's extenuating circumstances, depends on
the render you're doing, if you have particularly massive datasets, if it's a
workstation and you want a lot of overhead for that, etc etc.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada