[Sidefx-houdini-list] Sharing animation with Max

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:56:51 EDT 2007

2007/5/31, Ivan DeWolf <ivan at martian-labs.com>:

> I believe that there are political/legal reasons that no company directly
> includes translators.
>
> This subject is pretty interesting. Here at Martian Labs, we wrote a
> translator
> for virtually any software in to Houdini using .rib files as a hub format.
> Works great, we still use it.
>
> Anyways, at $950 bucks, it seemed pretty cheap to me, but we only sold
> about 5
> licenses in the last 5 years; that's less than we spent advertising it for
> one
> year.
>
> Although it may seem like a tool that is useful being offered for cheap is
> an
> easy sell, and although all the artists in the industry might understand
> it's
> usefulness, it is virtually impossible to get any company to cut a check
> for
> such tools.

I understand why some studios prefer to have their own translators, to have
more control over there, maybe selling the code along the product will be a
good solution.
And what about Hydrous tools?

This is why Martian Labs mostly does visual effects production now and not

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez