[Sidefx-houdini-list] String manipulation

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:44:27 EDT 2007

I and others have written a variety of custom expressions that do
things like this. So for example, what you want would be, as a custom
expression:

string strip_suffix(string orig; string sepchar)
{
    string returnme = orig;

    float lastSep = rindex(orig, sepchar);

    if ( lastSep >= 0 )
    {
        returnme = substr(orig,0,lastSep);
    }

    return returnme;
}

Now you can just use `strip_suffix($HIPNAME,".")`

I have a lot of little things like this, as do most people. You just
keep adding them to your facility's shop-wide Houdini install. Sadly,
that's not super easy since there is no easy way to load custom
expressions. We use something in 456.cmd that scans a directory and
loads all the files with .func on the end using the "exread" command.

This stuff will be easier in 9 when Python is integrated that's for sure!

Cheers,

Peter B