[Sidefx-houdini-list] Sharing animation with Max

Ivan DeWolf ivan at martian-labs.com
Thu May 31 14:04:27 EDT 2007

I believe that there are political/legal reasons that no company directly
includes translators.

This subject is pretty interesting. Here at Martian Labs, we wrote a translator
for virtually any software in to Houdini using .rib files as a hub format.
Works great, we still use it.

Anyways, at $950 bucks, it seemed pretty cheap to me, but we only sold about 5
licenses in the last 5 years; that's less than we spent advertising it for one
year.

Although it may seem like a tool that is useful being offered for cheap is an
easy sell, and although all the artists in the industry might understand it's
usefulness, it is virtually impossible to get any company to cut a check for
such tools.

This is why Martian Labs mostly does visual effects production now and not just
software development. We will continue to make some of our software available
as products, but we cannot make a living off of that.  I do it mereley because
I like to share.

Quoting zoran arizanovic <zoran.arizanovic at gmail.com>:

> If this would be done  from sidefx side and included into distribution it
> would certainly help people/companys migrating to Houdini
> the biggest fear is loosing all the years put into maya, max or xsi pipeline
> and its proven to work
> and then you need to do all translators again just for H :(
>

> On 5/31/07, Sean Lewkiw <seanl at rainmaker.com> wrote:
> >

> > > At DNA we had a custom sop that read a point cloud format and deformed
> > > the input mesh accordingly. It worked very well for taking Maya
> > > animation in to Houdini. Might be time to crack open the HDK... unless
> > > someones done this?
> > We've just finished up exactly this here, a Maya<->Houdini mesh
> > cache/camera/light translator.  Could this be the most re-invented wheel
> > ever?  Every single studio that uses Houdini must have a version of this
> > tool, which took some tools dude in a dark corner three weeks to write.
> > This one utility must account for a complete man-year of work per year
> > across the world.
> >
> > Maybe this could be a big open-source project for the Houdini
> > community?  Would be great to have Maya/Softimage/Max/Lightwave support
> > in a mesh cache format.
> >
> > Sean
> >
> > --
> > Sean Lewkiw