[Sidefx-houdini-list] Sharing animation with Max

Sean Lewkiw seanl at rainmaker.com
Thu May 31 05:40:58 EDT 2007

> At DNA we had a custom sop that read a point cloud format and deformed
> the input mesh accordingly. It worked very well for taking Maya
> animation in to Houdini. Might be time to crack open the HDK... unless
> someones done this?
We've just finished up exactly this here, a Maya<->Houdini mesh
cache/camera/light translator.  Could this be the most re-invented wheel
ever?  Every single studio that uses Houdini must have a version of this
tool, which took some tools dude in a dark corner three weeks to write.
This one utility must account for a complete man-year of work per year
across the world.

Maybe this could be a big open-source project for the Houdini
community?  Would be great to have Maya/Softimage/Max/Lightwave support
in a mesh cache format.

Sean

--
Sean Lewkiw