[Sidefx-houdini-list] Sharing animation with Max

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Thu May 31 05:30:54 EDT 2007

b.fx at free.fr wrote:
> Hi Rangi
>
> check this max script
> http://b.fx.free.fr/maxscript/maxpoly2houdini_b1.00.zip
>
> I haven't touch that script since long but could be a good starting point.
>
> It allow you to export geo padded sequences from max to houdini. As i remember
> you have to collapse the object before exporting the geo (i haven't max at hand
> right now). It is a brute force way but it do it.
>
> I haven't try to export houdini to max.
>
> Exporting chanels or wathever is bit a nightmare due to the diversity of
> animations controlers in max and/or its non uniformity in general... comparing
> to houdini.
>
> cheers
> francois

Great, thanks for that Francois,

We'll no doubt rip that script apart at some stage and make it into our
purposes.

A bit more research and I think the point cache format could still be a
useful mechanism.

http://www.footools.com/plugins/docs/PointCache2_README.html

At DNA we had a custom sop that read a point cloud format and deformed
the input mesh accordingly. It worked very well for taking Maya
animation in to Houdini. Might be time to crack open the HDK... unless
someones done this?

Beers,
r.