[Sidefx-houdini-list] Sharing animation with Max

brian goodwin brian.r.goodwin at gmail.com
Thu May 31 05:27:51 EDT 2007

Hey

I'm actually finishing up a program that does exactly that.

Taking houdini animation (deformable geometry) into max or XSI, either via
the clip file format or via animated objs - that caches then deforms the
mesh- (really fast).

Ive got a working version for clips and the obj version should be done end
of today or tomorrow - just to iron out bugs, so if u interested in trying
it out before i post it online, please let me know.

Brian

On 5/31/07, Rangi Sutton <rangi.sutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I'm just starting to look into a Houdini / Max pipeline. At first glance
> collada looks like a nice starting point, hopefully capable for throwing
> cameras, lights and set pieces around. But deforming geometry....
>
> In the past I have usually just gone Maya->Houdini by using a mel script
> to dump out a .obj per frame followed by a file sop in Houdini. Easy.
>
> Houdini->Maya harder, but basically a mel script to import every file
> and sequence blend them if they topology is constant. Not hard.
>
> But for Max I'm pretty ignorant to it's whole world. My attention is
> drawn to it's point cache support, which they propose as a maya<>max
> format. Anyone tried to use this as a houdini<>max format?
>
> I'm aiming at baked out deforming geometry going between packages more
> than transferring animation channels as such.
>
> Anyone trod this path already?
>
> Beers,
> Rangi.

brian