[Sidefx-houdini-list] Sharing animation with Max

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Thu May 31 04:55:40 EDT 2007

Hey folks,

I'm just starting to look into a Houdini / Max pipeline. At first glance
collada looks like a nice starting point, hopefully capable for throwing
cameras, lights and set pieces around. But deforming geometry....

In the past I have usually just gone Maya->Houdini by using a mel script
to dump out a .obj per frame followed by a file sop in Houdini. Easy.

Houdini->Maya harder, but basically a mel script to import every file
and sequence blend them if they topology is constant. Not hard.

But for Max I'm pretty ignorant to it's whole world. My attention is
drawn to it's point cache support, which they propose as a maya<>max
format. Anyone tried to use this as a houdini<>max format?

I'm aiming at baked out deforming geometry going between packages more
than transferring animation channels as such.

Anyone trod this path already?

Beers,
Rangi.