[Sidefx-houdini-list] Holding Bone Weights

Mark mark at 3dsite.com
Fri May 25 19:13:47 EDT 2007

We've been doing Character stuff.
We've been using groups, but you have to watch your cache if you have
too many.  We've run into that problem.
The thing is I've tried to work in some sort of procedule way, but the
minute you throw down a capture layer paint you've lost your proceduralism.

So to keep my work flow as procedule as possible, I:
Group
CaptureOveride those groups
and then according to the look I'm trying to get CaptureOveride points
or Paint capture attributes.

The problem comes in when you want to hand edit points that have been
smoothed or your just hand editing points with more than two bones
weighted to it.  Three bones is mostly ok, because you can type the
values into the spreed sheet and then normalize.  But, anything beyond
that get's tough.

The place that we get most of our problems is doing mouth deformations
with bones.   It's less forgiving when weighting.

It's actually good to hear from others who have been working closely
with Houdini's weighting.
Holding Weights is the only huge problem I've encountered, and  I spoke
with Kalin a couple of monthes  ago  about  possibly adding this to
Houdini.  I'm not sure what it would take, but he seemed to understand
the problem.

-Mark