[Sidefx-houdini-list] Compositor

Dragos Stefan ds_list at dsg.ro
Fri May 25 07:16:14 EDT 2007

Halo is generally lacking in some important general-purpose compositing
features (that is keying, tracking and powerful color-correcting). Also
the transformations ar unacceptably slow. So at this current stage I
wouldn't recommend using it purely as a compositing package, even if the
architecture is very very promising.

However, what it lacks in general compositing features it compesates in
what options it offers you for post processing you renders. The
integration with Mantra (mainly, but actually with any other renderer
which supports output of arbitrary planes), the availability of VEX
which gives you unlimited possibilities for using data in thos arbitrary
planes and the general multichannel architecture are very nice. I
actually prefer those features in the integrated compositor of a 3D
software, instead of general purpose features which are already
available in my compositing package of choice.

That being said I still find surprising the fact that the development of
Halo seems to happen very slooooow.

Dragos