[Sidefx-houdini-list] Hdk-Helper Function Libray

Jaideep Khadilkar iamjaideep80 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 07:59:56 EDT 2007

HI Fred...

I made a mistake. After some googling I found that with gcc we use -lHelper (avoiding lib and .a or .so). I tried the same thing with hcustom , and it worked. My custom_op compiled with no error.

But when I opened Houdini, It gives an error that "DSO_Version" not defined in libHelper.so . I guess hcustom made a libHelper.so from libHelper.a while compiling my custom_op. So I added #include <UT/UT_DSOVersion.h> to my Helper code and recompiled and newly made the libHelper.a . Then while compiling my custom_op it gives the error as "HoudiniDSOVersion"  and "HoudiniGetTagInfo" defined twice.
I also tried #ifndef #endif, but no help. Plz Help...

---- iamjaideep80
(Jaideep Khadilkar)

Jaideep Khadilkar <iamjaideep80 at yahoo.com> wrote: HI Fred...

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am trying ur method, but facing a problem.
I compiled my Helper code with hcustom to create .o file. Then with "ar"
 created a static library libHelper.a out of it. Now with hcustom I am compiling my custom_op using "-l" option. But it says,
"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -llibHelper.a" . I also added the library older with "-L" option, but no help. Is it the problem of static and dynamic libraries??? Do I have to create libHelper.so(dynamic lib). If yes, how to do that using "hcustom", or can I use gcc to do that.

---- iamjaideep80
(Jaideep Khadilkar)

Fred Valleur  wrote: Hi,

you can compile your library in a regular way. Of course make sure to
make the proper includes from the HDK.

I use cmake to compile my Houdini operators, and never ran into
problems doing so.

Hope this helps,

Fred.

--