[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini OGL viewports

jordibares jordibares at the-mill.com
Tue May 22 11:52:58 EDT 2007

On 22/5/07 13:54, "Peter Robbinson" <probbins at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Are you by chance looking in wireframe? If so, the opengl doesn't use a
> depth que to determine the location of the "wires". In an ortho view
> that should be fine, but in perspective it can be a bit confusing.
> In shaded view though everything should be fine.

That is what I noticed... So it is not possible? This is what I see in XSI
and how I would I see it in HOUDINI.

As you can see the viewport in Houdini is very very distracting because the
grid is OVER the sphere... If this is not a bug/driver issue, my feeling and
suggestion is to change it toward the xsi style.

> Could you fill us in on the general reason why the current project is
> better handled in Houdini and how you determined that. Without of course
> giving anything away.

Building this in Maya/XSI would mean to write a custom plugin that builds
more than 600 objects with hundreds of elements each (a challenge in itself
already) and textures them based on a sequence of footage, making sure we
can change anytime animation, number of objects, number of elements.

Basically a big investment (around 2 months development 1 person) that once
is used has to go to the bin as this is not going to happen again. In 2
weeks we already have it working btw.

> And this list, along with the forum and Odforce are fantastic places to
> get answers. I've never met a more generous and knowledge set of people.
> Ask away.

Thanks, I sure will ask  ;-)

jb