[Sidefx-houdini-list] Canadians working in the US (was: R&DOPENINGS AT LAIKA)

Ammon Riley ammon.riley at gmail.com
Fri May 18 03:18:04 EDT 2007

On 5/18/07, Ammon Riley <ammon.riley at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're asking in the general sense, then that's where
> the creativity of the person writing the visa letter come
> in, but it's generally not a problem.

Although, having now read Graham's email, perhaps I've
only talked to folks who've had a good lawyer writing
the letter. :-D

My dad had trouble getting a TN-1 visa -- not because
of his degree (which was in the field he was being
hired to work in), but because of the fees -- the
immigration people don't take credit card (cash only),
and have no ATM machines in their station. They
wouldn't let him leave the office to go to the ATM
machine in the liquor store across the parking lot,
because they didn't want him to "run off," or something
silly like that, and, since they were in the process of
evaluating the visa, if he'd have left to go back to
Canada, and use an ATM there, they'd have rejected it.
Fortunately, my mom was with him at the time, and,
since she's a US citizen, she was free to go off to
the ATM. She was on crutches at the time, due to
a sprained ankle. They wouldn't let her drive, because
the vehicle was registered in Canada. It was raining.
INS people can sometimes be the biggest pricks
you've ever met.

Cheers,
Ammon