[Sidefx-houdini-list] Canadians working in the US (was: R&DOPENINGS AT LAIKA)

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Thu May 17 20:11:56 EDT 2007

Ammon Riley wrote:
> For a Canadian, this is what matters. The degree has to be in one
> of the specialties listed by the US Government, but, since there
> are dozens of specialties listed, it's not hard to shoehorn whatever
> you do into one of them. The TN visa requirements have "or equivalent"
> language in them, but it's a bit tougher -- last time I read the rules,
> that meant 3 years of work experience per year of degree that, so if
> you don't have that degree, you need twelve (or more) years of work
> experience before you can get a TN visa.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry for the TN visa
a couple of things strike me.  First, you seemingly apply (and are 
adjudicated) at the border rather than at a local consulate.  I imagine 
the hapless Canadian being summarily rejected at the airport after 
having settled all their affairs in the frozen north.  Second, what if 
your degree isn't in the area of work?  For example, mine is a PhD in 
computational physics, but I'd be applying to do effects work in a film 
studio.  Won't they balk at this?  Since there aren't 4 year degrees in 
visual effects though, and regardless TD isn't on "the list", I'm 
guessing this isn't enforced anywhere near the degree (no pun intended) 
indicated in the Wikipedia article?

Thanks everyone for your detailed replies.


Darran Edmundson [darran at edmstudio.com]
Interactive visualization for museums and industry

More information about the Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list