[Sidefx-houdini-list] Canadians working in the US (was: R&DOPENINGS AT LAIKA)

Ammon Riley ammon.riley at gmail.com
Thu May 17 19:55:36 EDT 2007

On 5/17/07, Campbell, Scott A <Scott.A.Campbell at disney.com> wrote:
> The TN visa often available to Canadian citizens is much easier to
> obtain than other visas, but, yes, there still is the 4 year degree
> requirement. That's a condition of the US government, not a particular
> company.

For a Canadian, this is what matters. The degree has to be in one
of the specialties listed by the US Government, but, since there
are dozens of specialties listed, it's not hard to shoehorn whatever
you do into one of them. The TN visa requirements have "or equivalent"
language in them, but it's a bit tougher -- last time I read the rules,
that meant 3 years of work experience per year of degree that, so if
you don't have that degree, you need twelve (or more) years of work
experience before you can get a TN visa.

The TN visa is a temporary one-year visa that has to be renewed.
If you can get the TN visa, go for that, then work on the H1-B or
greencard while you're here.

Ammon (One of those Canadians who went to LA)

More information about the Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list