[Sidefx-houdini-list] Canadians working in the US (was: R&D OPENINGS AT LAIKA)

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Thu May 17 18:35:39 EDT 2007

Hey Darran,
    I don't have  a lot of time to get into this but:

On 17/05/07, Darran Edmundson <darran at edmstudio.com> wrote:
>  Given these two facts, can I assume that there are a fair
> number of Canadian Houdini users in LA?

Yes

> If so (and I'm guessing a number of you are on this list), forgive my
> ignorance but (i) how difficult is it for Canadians to get US work
> (temporary or permanent) visas in the Houdini/Effects industry?

Not difficult if: You have at least a Bachelor's degree and you have a
few years work experience. A NAFTA Visa is quite easy, since it
doesn't even (theoretically) require lawyers. However, the more
lawyers involved the more chance of getting in without hassle.

 (ii) Is
> the demand such that US shops actively court Canadian talent and play a
> role in sorting out visa issues?

In some cases, yes. Typically more senior people.

> Popular (Hollywood-produced) culture has it that getting a "Green Card"
> (work visa?) is the aspiration of non-Americans everywhere.  From this
> I've always inferred that it is a difficult and painful process.  This
> would seemingly conflict with the project-based nature of film work.

A green card is a separate issue, that's a permanent residence and
lets you switch jobs without having to leave the country or ask
someone's permission ;) It is a long and expensive process, but not
necessarily difficult, especially for Canadians.
 My wife and I are amongst the (minority) of freaks that had the
opportunity to get a green card, and chose to leave the US instead...
However, since my daughter was born in LA and is American, returning
will likely not be too hard if we so choose.

Cheers,

peter B