[Sidefx-houdini-list] Canadians working in the US (was: R&D OPENINGS AT LAIKA)

Darran Edmundson darran at edmstudio.com
Thu May 17 18:28:25 EDT 2007

A non-technical digression.  For obvious reasons there's a lot of
Canadian Houdini expertise.  At the same time, there is a
seemingly-large demand for Houdini people down in the US (LA in
particular).  Given these two facts, can I assume that there are a fair
number of Canadian Houdini users in LA?

If so (and I'm guessing a number of you are on this list), forgive my
ignorance but (i) how difficult is it for Canadians to get US work
(temporary or permanent) visas in the Houdini/Effects industry?  (ii) Is
the demand such that US shops actively court Canadian talent and play a
role in sorting out visa issues?

Popular (Hollywood-produced) culture has it that getting a "Green Card"
(work visa?) is the aspiration of non-Americans everywhere.  From this
I've always inferred that it is a difficult and painful process.  This
would seemingly conflict with the project-based nature of film work.

Cheers,
Darran.

--
Darran Edmundson [darran at edmstudio.com]
Interactive visualization for museums and industry