[Sidefx-houdini-list] optimizing i3d

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Sun May 13 19:23:20 EDT 2007

2007/5/11, zoran arizanovic <zoran.arizanovic at gmail.com>:

> no , I mean seting up all render , sampling and 3d texture generation
> size of i3d is not big problem but overall render speed I would like to
> get
> to optimum to see how fast I can render it

coding your own i3d shader will spped up things , I have make some speed
upsmaking my own surface shader that use i3d.
The problem is that to get fine details at the end you have to increase your
3d texture resolution and this is a great bottleneck.
Anyway the best way is to understand the i3d VEX funtions  family and write
your own ray marching shader.

thanks

> On 5/11/07, zhang xiao <zhangxiao6776 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > by optimizing it, you mean a octree-like data compression scheme?
> >
> > On 5/11/07, zoran arizanovic <zoran.arizanovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > hi
> > > how can I optimize vast qty of clouds done with i3d?
> > > Is it possible to save them on disk ?instance them or render from ifd
> > > since
> > > it is not geo but atmosphere object?
> > > How many points/metaballs suffice usually for one big cumulus?and what
> > > would
> > > be production ready resolution for 3d texture file?
> > > hope someone can share some knowledge regarding these questions?
> > > thanks
> > >

> > > --
> > > Zoran Arizanovic
> > > http://arizanovic.blogspot.com/