[Sidefx-houdini-list] Side Effects hits 20 years

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Tue Jun 26 15:58:36 EDT 2007

Since the assets are locked when in production ithe paint nodes inside
the asset would also be locked. When we created a more complex version
of this system a few years ago we created a toolset of assets that
included a tool for prepping geometry that added necessary attributes
then offered buttons to automatically set up paint nodes with the
settings ready to go. Then another asset would process the info and
populate the surface with trees. In that example the point attributes
were actually used to drive point instancing at the object level which
helped speed up render times.

In Jeff wagner's Old school blog the toolset approach is recommended
over uber-assets. for this example the use of a single asset was just to
get some initial ideas out on the table.

Robert

--
Robert Magee
Product Marketing Manager