[Sidefx-houdini-list] VFX article

Agent Xray xray at agentxray.com
Mon Jun 18 11:15:46 EDT 2007

If anyone objects to the politicization of this list let me know and
I'll shut it, but at further risk of making political statements on a
technical mailing list...

Dave,

I'm speaking of carrying private insurance in the freelance market
rather than staff jobs with benefits. When health care costs rise to the
point where a company can no longer operate profitably they will either
go out of business or reorganize by reducing staff and hiring
freelancers. State/union health care is not free but it would  level the
playing field for _freelance_ artists. Currently if a company wants to
retain a staff they do need to provide benefits to keep that staff
healthy and happy but those staff jobs with benefits are shrinking in
number. Experienced (aka older) artists are asked to compete in a
freelance market where they need to account for that extra insurance
dough in their hourly rate. It's difficult for an experienced artist to
prove their worth in a short duration freelance negotiation against
another artists willing to work for half the rate because they don't
have the private insurance burden. I firmly believe that portable and
affordable health care should be an entitled right not a privilege for
the well heeled.

-=X