[Sidefx-houdini-list] Holding Bone Weights

Louis Dunlevy ld at dneg.com
Sat Jun 16 15:15:02 EDT 2007

Louis Dunlevy wrote:
> [...]
>> certain deformations over time. I was intrigued with the radial basis
>> functionSOP Simon put out, but it can take a while before you get a
>> strong relationship between the mapping points and the changes you want.
>>
>> for rigging on the other hand this system should be able to give you
>> a higher percentage of success when you use it for bone angles and
>> the like. the reality is however, that any deformer after a deformSOP
>> is slow, so you avoid it. Which means you can use the createeditsop
>> hscript command to generate a preDeformSOP editSOP result so you can
>> do use it in a blendSOP above the deform. Again, you can only get so
>> many in before you start paying the price.. in memory and performance.
>>
>> you idea would be helpful if it was done in the deformSOP. Anything
>> else isn't as fast or nice once you start getting complicated.
> Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Layering SOP deformations
> is cool but slow.
>
> I've been asking the guys at SESI to consider adding this option to
> the deform SOP so that it could work in the same way as say the
> Lattice SOP on a per-bone basis so that only bones that have been
> explicity moved have an effect. A bone that has moved simply because
> it's in a hierarchy would not have any effect.
>
> I love the oriented editing available through the edit SOP via the
> Morph tool etc. It's a life saver. It is a blendshapes approach
> however so there are some restrictions there. The other methods you
> talk about are all valid and very cool and I've used/looked at them
> all (thanks again Simon for the gooviness). We've put together various
> other flavours of this on different occasions. It's good to see SESI
> put in the Attribute Orient SOP too.
>
> You can access metaball transforms in VEX which is cool.. :-)
>
> Go on SESI, you know you want to! 8-)
>
> Louis
>

>> we have implemented a nice rig system now with preBlendshapes,
>> wiredeformer, then a deformSOP. when used correctly it is very nice
>> to control the deformation and still give the animators the freedom.
>> Thing is it can be slow. I know about the assume coordinate changes
>> toggles (blend and deform), the morph mode in the blendSOP etc.  The
>> blendSOP will cook only those inputs with values above 0, but you
>> still pay the price for numbers here and you are bound to get
>> multiple floats in there somewhere. the morph mode helps since only
>> the deltas are stored in the editSOPs once the file has been saved
>> after you toggle it on and reload the file, so the memory hit is
>> less. The wire deformer isn't optimized with the assume coordinate
>> changes so that isn't much help either.  the difference in attributes
>> also can be a pain as well, but you deal with it.
>>
>> I haven't played enough with the metaball system yet to know if it is
>> potentially easier to get more out of the rig. I saw the videos Calin
>> put out. It looked great, but I was worried about the workflow quirks

The only thing I found problematic with the metaball and muscle capture
systems is that I wasn't able to just put in a couple of muscles on top
of a rig that was done in the standard way. It was kinda all or nothing.
Very sweet but a bit difficult to hack up. I haven't played with it in a
little while now though..

Louis