[Sidefx-houdini-list] VFX article

Agent Xray xray at agentxray.com
Sat Jun 16 15:13:14 EDT 2007

One of the looming issues I can see is that the experienced artists and
supervisors who are generally a bit older than the fresh faced youth
have the additional overhead of providing health insurance for
themselves and their families. As anyone who has tried to get private
health insurance can confirm, medical insurance gets outrageously
expensive as you get older and add spouses and children. There is simply
no way that a head-of-household can compete in the freelance market
against recent college grads when the out of pocket insurance costs for
a family of four can easily be more than $30k a year. This is where
things like portable state supported or union supported health plans
could really help level the playing field for freelance CG artists. If a
freelancer with a family doesn't have to crack the insurance nut every
month that worker might be able to charge less and be more competitive.
This is the sort of thing the youngsters and bachelors just don't have
to think about when they shit on the union idea.

-=X