[Sidefx-houdini-list] Ode Solver : Custom Collision Geom

Daniel Kramer dank at imageworks.com
Fri Jun 15 12:17:14 EDT 2007

ODE can handle tri-meshes, but it's not super fast or stable from my
experience.  I think they now have various options for different trimesh
libs to try and I'm sure some are better then others.

The beauty of ODE is that it works on very simple primitives

Cube, sphere, capsule, plane.

This keeps it really fast in that each primitive has a well defined
inside/outside and are quick to test for collisions.

The paradigm for ODE is to make "composite" objects for more complex
shapes.. you can have any combination of the base prims and arrange them
to approximate the shape of your 3d model.. then define those shapes as
a composite object, meaning they will act as one body.

There are a couple of examples of this in the sample hip file that's
stored in the ODE solver package on sourceforge.

If you want to get your hands dirty you can try tri mesh or convex hulls
etc.. but right now the solver doesn't know anything about those types
and you'd have to modify the code

-------
Daniel Kramer - dank at imageworks.com
Sony Pictures Imageworks