[Sidefx-houdini-list] Holding Bone Weights

Louis Dunlevy ld at dneg.com
Wed Jun 13 07:20:59 EDT 2007

ken wrote:
> technically that is what the second input on the editSOP is supposed
> to do. It should be creating a local coordinate system on the deform
> and on the rest and then use a quaternion to move the geometry around.
> Thing is in practice the more the deformation changes the less likely
> the editSOP will be valid. I think of it like a noise field.. the
> noisier the field the less  likely you will get a wide range of use
> out of the blendshape. strictly speaking that's what we used for
> character finaling on the wild.  the problem is no matter what they do
> with the coordinate system it still gets a bit wonky in certain
> deformations over time. I was intrigued with the radial basis
> functionSOP Simon put out, but it can take a while before you get a
> strong relationship between the mapping points and the changes you want.
>
> for rigging on the other hand this system should be able to give you a
> higher percentage of success when you use it for bone angles and the
> like. the reality is however, that any deformer after a deformSOP is
> slow, so you avoid it. Which means you can use the createeditsop
> hscript command to generate a preDeformSOP editSOP result so you can
> do use it in a blendSOP above the deform. Again, you can only get so
> many in before you start paying the price.. in memory and performance.
>
> you idea would be helpful if it was done in the deformSOP. Anything
> else isn't as fast or nice once you start getting complicated.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Layering SOP deformations
is cool but slow.

I've been asking the guys at SESI to consider adding this option to the
deform SOP so that it could work in the same way as say the Lattice SOP
on a per-bone basis so that only bones that have been explicity moved
have an effect. A bone that has moved simply because it's in a hierarchy
would not have any effect.

I love the oriented editing available through the edit SOP via the Morph
tool etc. It's a life saver. It is a blendshapes approach however so
there are some restrictions there. The other methods you talk about are
all valid and very cool and I've used/looked at them all (thanks again
Simon for the gooviness). We've put together various other flavours of
this on different occasions. It's good to see SESI put in the Attribute
Orient SOP too.

You can access metaball transforms in VEX which is cool.. :-)

Go on SESI, you know you want to! 8-)

Louis